Tuesday, June 23

Stand and Deliver

Last night's show was fantastic. The opener, as best as I can describe her, was the lovechild of Gwen Stefani and Little Richard, with Kanye as the god father, and Michael Jackson as the mentor. Couldn't understand a damn thing she was singing, but when I caught some words over the way too loud instrumentals, she had a Gwen-ish voice. Her pompadour was intense too.

Then Paramore. I went for Paramore more specifically than No Doubt, but I'm not nearly as fanatical as the 13 year old fan club Kyle and I had the honor of sitting behind. They had no interest whatesoever in No Doubt; I've been a ND fan since Sunday Morning came out. I couldn't believe their lack of respect for a band that can only be described as the flat out reason Paramore ever had a shot at becoming a well known and respected band. Face it, without No Doubt, with a funky-haired punky 'one of the boys' frontman girl with a band full of boys that isn't just a back up band to a solo singer, there'd be no Paramore.
And to pay credit where it's due, without Blondie there'd be no No Doubt <3debbie<3

For the first time ever, I was the "old fan" at a concert. Aside from the cougars and their saggy cleavage, I was surrounded by teeny boppers. I didn't realize I grew up, but my tastes in music never really did. I also couldn't believe that most of them weren't even born before No Doubt released their first single. Ouch.
No Doubt was fantastic. The set flew by, I couldn't even comprehend that nearly an hour and a half had passed when they left the stage. The stage had white coverall rolled over it and everything looked so seamless and squeaky and mod. They ran old home videos over the backdrop during Running, which even had Adrian Young (drummer, for those of you not up on your ND info) tearing up and shedding a tear (and needless to say, they didn't do any video closeups of him after that during the song). Solid show, I loved it.

3 encore songs later, No Doubt did a cover of Adam Ant's Stand and Deliver, and they brought Paramore onstage to have Hayley sing with them, which of course made my night. There are youtube videos online from other stops on the tour, but the sound quality is pretty awful on all of them (I did the leg work for you). You do get a good sense from the videos of the stage and outfits though.

I just whole heartedly appreciate concerts without singing tracks and good honest true vocals then and there. Everyone last night upheld my expectations.


---- oh in other news, I did data entry for intern this morning and at 3 I'm going on a softball shoot.
That is all for now.

2 people like it sassy:

Gracie-Lou said...

Wow! I'm so jealous! I'm glad you had a good time! <3

ms. teacakes said...

I'm super jealous as well! I'm very happy you had a stellar time at Turning Stone! I'm hoping I can see The Temptations there soon!

Post a Comment