Saturday, June 6

First Friday


First Friday is one of the best events Binghamton ever puts on properly. It is when all of the artist galleries and studios of downtown open their doors for free shows (think Syracuse's Third Thursday). Binghamton honestly doesn't have much going for it the rest of the days of the month, but First Friday makes me feel good about being an artist here. Downtown renamed State Street "Artist's Row" because there are 6 galleries, work spaces, and one antique and arts shop side by side. It is also where the major gay bar of Bing (Merlins) is, so the whole road just feels quirky and open minded.

My favorite gallery is Orazio Salati's - he always has incredible paintings and mixed media shown in his two-part gallery, as well as his own work, which is usually full of color and motion.

Another amazing gallery, more for the preservation of history, is Anthony Brunelli. He does some of the most fantastic perspective paintings of Binghamton, both from photos of the past, and from current events. He makes this little city look like somewhere someone would actually like to live and experience. His paintings are featured both in his gallery and in Park Diner, located in Conklin (across the river looking into Binghamton) and they are rather proud of them.

If I have to stay in Bing more than 3 years post graduation, I'm getting studio space on Artist's Row to call my own. And I'll have wine and a popcorn machine at my First Friday openings.

8 people like it sassy:

Gracie-Lou said...

Is this what we are doing on the 3rd of July? :D

Tony said...

If you do i will totally be there :)

Shanna McKay* said...

yes and YES!!!

Gracie-Lou said...

weee!

ms. teacakes said...

That sounds like a fabulous time, Shanna! I wish I lived closer to you so I could go with you! How about we set up a time when I drive down and we do it together? Maybe in July or August...then at least I'll be 21 with you!

I want to drive and see you for a random trip anyways!

Shanna McKay* said...

weee July 3rd is the next one that we'll be attending with Jakewithastar, so if you wanna come down for that, it would save Gracie and I a trip to meet you somewhere, as you could spend the night in Bing with us and just drive him from here..!?

jillylif said...

wine and popcorn sounds good to me.

Shanna McKay* said...

basically my favorite =)

Post a Comment