Wednesday, June 2

Odd Turn of Events

I cannot totally fathom how my summer is panning out job-wise. 

I spent the first 2 weeks after graduation fiercely hunting down job opportunities (mainly local, part time, retail, corporate, [read:boring but income-generating], etc). 
I have since spent my days scheduling a multitude of random photo shoots and such-opportunities. In the meantime, I have had the good luck of having several other odd jobs sort of more or less fall into my lap. 

I should interrupt myself here just to say: yes, I know I have a charmed life. Yes, I am forever thanking my lucky stars.

Next weekend is senior photos, an ever-growing day of shooting several "kids" with Miss SassyPants herself,  Hanners. Following that, I have picked up a 2 week "artist vacation" from a dear dear friend in the form of house sitting at (what I can only imagine) is a home that must be considered an Intellectual Pirate Ship, simply brimming with treasure via books and art. That time will be dedicated to putting my entire website together, as I never seem to have the patience or time alone to actually focus and get finished at home. During that stay will be my Merlin's First Friday show right smack in the middle. Then the Suicide Girl shoot, mixed in with about 4 other completely separate senior photo shoots around the CNY area. 

Today I found out that I landed a silly moneymaker sort of job - after July, I start shooting every weekend, both days (but only a few hours at a time), for $500. It's boring children's sports photography (yet surprisingly not for my father a la' my internship last summer), but for that kind of pay and only 2 days a week... who needs a retail customer service job??  And it requires no editing, just driving and shooting, so I can do the part I really enjoy and as long as I do it right the first time. I have one of my first training days this Saturday.

I can't bring myself to really seriously look for a "real" job right now... I just can't. Not when I am actually doing what I've always wanted to do. I never thought I would have the opportunity to do photowork and odd jobs on the side as real income-makers right away! Insane. But I'll certainly take it. After the end of the summer / fall job until the sports season ends (late fall), I hope to have enough saved up to do that major move out step. 
Yikes. How'd that happen??

Huzzah to not having to sell my soul for one more summer!
How's everyone else doing in the job situations?

1 people like it sassy:

cazwolin said...

"Intellectual Pirate Ship" I love it! (I think that would be a great name for a tumblr btw.)

Post a Comment