Thursday, May 27

Brian Wieder

I just got home from a benefit for Brian Wieder at Chameleon Cafe with Miss Bosley (sooo much fun to get her out of her apartment & me out of the living room & drinks into both of us). I'm going to straight up copy this from the News34 website:

As you may be aware, Brian Wieder was recently diagnosed with a debilitating neurological disorder that is called HIV related Autonomic Neuropathy. This is a disorder of the autonomic nervous system which controls the body’s involuntary functions. Autonomic Neuropathy is characterized by the destruction of the autonomic nerves which causes the disruption in the signals between the brain, the central nervous system and other organs. Once the nerves are destroyed, they are irreparable. This disease will affect Brian’s heart, blood vessels and other internal organs, which will lose their function. Autonomic Neuropathy is a continuously progressive disease and there is no known cure.

Friends of Brian Wieder have established a medical trust fund to assist him with uncovered medical costs which will continue to mount. The trust fund is with Visions Federal Credit Union and individuals who would like to make a donation should send their check, payable to the Brian Wieder Medical Trust Fund to:

Brian Wieder Medical Trust Fund
c/o Cynthia Knight/Payee
P.O. Box 2701
Binghamton, NY 13902-2701

I included the address because if you have the means, I hope you'll find a place in your heart to donate. 

I went for Jordan (who was performing during the event) & the $6 at the door was hardly a bother for such a nice man. I had never heard for Mr. Wieder prior to the evening, nor did I know what the benefit was for particularly until I read a little table tent about him (fairly certain it was exactly the same as ^that^) -- Jordan took us over to introduce us and this gentle, frail looking man went out of his way to stand up and hug Casey and I. He didn't have to get up, I was already shaking his hand when he slowly made his way up from his chair to greet me & thanked both of us up and down for coming. It was such a sweet gesture from someone (one complete stranger to another) who just looked so genuinely thankful for all of the support and friends who had come to his aid tonight.  Simple things like that shake me to the core that such horrible things happen to such endearing people. All in all, his condition has no cure and he knows he is going to die. All he can hope for is be comfortable for now, and to hope his debt doesn't burden too many too much. It was heartbreaking and uplifting all at the same time. He was clearly broken but far from beaten tonight.

Sad reason behind the benefit aside, Casey & I had a wonderful night of cocktails and a quick trip to 5 Guys for cheeseburgers right in the middle. Jordan's mom offered me a senior photo shoot gig with her other son, and just a few minutes ago Jordan offered me a shooting gig for a Mr. something or other pageant competition thing (and obviously not a ton of details ha =p) this summer that comes with advertising space -- thrilled! It really settled into my brain tonight that between my legwork and word of mouth, I might seriously have a shot at making this whole independent photographer thing really work!

In the meantime, I had an interview today at the Christmas Tree Shoppe in JC and should hear back in about a week if they want me. I think it went very well, even if I was forgotten and waited an hour to be remembered... I also went to PetCo next door to see if they were actually hiring or if my online application is just sitting on some cyber shelf, wasting away. They took my name and number, and I hope something comes of it because 3 of them were just standing there, playing with a parrot. Can I have that job?? For reals?? Please? Just until I can do it all myself.

All in all a very productive day, with loads of my favorite people and good causes and good news. 
I also bought myself a hat.


0 people like it sassy:

Post a Comment