Monday, September 14

Journal Essay Assignment - Question #1

1) Name at least five ways in which this internship can or will benefit you in the future. What steps must you take in order for these things to happen?

My internship allowed me to learn the basic concepts associated with entreprenuership through the direct interaction with the owner of Cycle Shots. I worked every day a desk away from him, and we often discussed the basic principles of LLC work versus a sole proprietorship, among other things. Taxes and taking on a lifelong workload came up, as well as how one takes a paycheck when they’re the only ones working. Frank is the only “paid” employee in the business, and the business is his life; it is often difficult to distinguish what money is “the company’s” and what money is his paycheck. I would like to run my own business one day, with as few employees as possible in order to keep complete creative control (because I don’t share well with others) and all of the subjects of money and the like got me thinking of what I’m truly in for. With all of the power comes all of the responsibility.

I made a lot of professional contacts while interning – many of which have very little to do with the direct photographic process. I learned that, although yes it is important to know the people to know within the business, it is also incredibly important to recognize, appreciate, and get to know other people who can be involved such as gas station attendants, public relation folks, the ladies at UPS, and those involved with rental cars. Networking is important, and necessary, even if all contacts aren’t directly involved.

Studio versus on location shooting was something I’ve been trying to come to terms with for years now. Frank shoots entirely on location for sporting events, and I have always preferred shooting outside of a studio. However, the equipment required for shooting on location is very different, and led me to thinking about what I’ll need in order to start my own business and exactly what kind of photography I want to focus on (ie what sort of technology I’ll need to establish as I establish myself).

As far as equipment goes, I learned that good investments over time pay for themselves. I will no longer fall victim to the “newest” product. It is not the price of your camera, but how you use it. It is not necessarily the newest products that will last the longest because Frank works with lighting from the 1980s that still work fantastically. They’ve been under constant supervision and had the utmost care and maintenance over the years. The newer batteries used in Frank’s cameras don’t hold nearly the charge expected, and the chargers are not always reliable. The old school equipment used seems to never fail, and has yet to be updated. Cameras still had to be updated, but the lenses haven’t.

Finally, I learned that, although I have extensive “photographic” training, I truly know nothing about business, and I have all intentions of taking a few business classes at Broome Community College. I don’t need another degree; I need a solid level of knowledge that I haven’t had the opportunity to gain at Cazenovia due to credit and scheduling constraints.

In order for all of that to happen, I simply need to follow through. With the right attitude, and a little start-up cash, I think I can start my own business. This internship definitely better prepared me for the “real world” in that some days will be slow, some days you’ll be up late and away from home, and when you shoot on location, rain happens.

0 people like it sassy:

Post a Comment