Tuesday, July 14

Steampunk

This has nothing to do with internship, first things first:

I have taken up a new hobby. I am going to attempt to make steampunk jewelry out of gears and clock pieces and other delightful little things such as these:

(all can be searched at Etsy.com under "Steampunk," and there are plenty more where those came from, they were simply my favorites off the first two pages.)

I am in love with everything about them. The intricacy, the movement, the shine, the history. Head over heels. I got a start today by investing in some antique pieces to begin my experimenting.Once again, I stopped in at Old Odd and Unique, explained what I was looking for, and he immediately dumped a bag of gears and non-Quartz watches on the counter. I got myself some old keys, and I'm in looove with a few of the small pieces that still spin and turn and crank. I feel so creative and energetic about this whole project, I just don't know where to start.

I love the guy who owns OO&U, he told me he'd keep an eye out for more of these sort of things rather than full watches that he can actually repair and resell for a profit. I just want the parts, and don't want to demolish anything he can resell. He's willing to cut me good prices, I can't imagine taking his actual sales from him for those intense antique collectors.

I am also attempting to get into the small metals / jewelry class. I was enrolled first, then dropped it to pick up two other classes (one being glass works... which I'm not feeling so hot about now). But... now I'm thinking I'd like to actually learn how to make this stuff, not just follow online tutorials if I can help it. It's a good place to start, but I'd like to really truly learn something. I shot Kim an email, even though the class is full, to see if there's chances she can pull strings for me.

I also stopped into The Mad Hatter antique shop on Clinton Street after intern this morning, and after noticing how fantastically put together all of the rooms of furniture and goods were, I asked the owner if I could come set up lights and bring in models some time. She told me absolutely, so of course I'm stoked to book some models for fun!

As far as intern goes, I did data entry for an hour and a half this morning, and then had a business lunch with our "sales associate" so to speak to figure out who he's pitched sales to, and who I need to contact. I am working on sales with civic associations in the local areas, and football (pop warner) associations throughout the Central New York area. I am starting on those first thing Thursday. I'm finally getting into the grit of it, and I'm pumped.

I am feeling positive, creative, upbeat, and truly happy for the first time this summer.
I hope it lasts.

3 people like it sassy:

ms. teacakes said...

oooooh can't wait to see some finished products!

Shanna McKay* said...

me eitherrrr!! it took me probably an hour to get that big clock apart. I still can't get the faceplate off. Tedious, but I love it so far

jillylif said...

I hope that the class works out better for you than it did Stacy. She took it thinking she would be making jewelry and didn't really get to. Hopefully the skills you learn will help you do what you want on your own time if nothing else. Sounds like fun. I might need some earings...

Post a Comment