Tuesday, December 1

Senior Project

I have struggled immensely with keeping up motivation and enthusiasm with this project all semester. Part of this, I'm sure, is because I couldn't get people to stay committed and/or coordinate schedules properly (I have been gogogo for 3 straight months, let's be honest). That's where I get frustrated with the studio art kids - as a photographer, I have to work around so many other people's schedules to get my final product; I can't just sit in my room late at night and work consistently, it is just not an option unfortunately.

I have had more trouble getting started than I ever imagined. I've changed my intended project at least three times, without starting any of them enough to care about keeping the idea and found myself becoming bored with the idea before I ever even set it in motion.

Recently however, I determined that drag queens/kings was the direction I needed to take. I was completely unsure about how to make progress with it or even start, but I finally got the necessary answers: I have a solid "leader" contact that can connect me with a minimum of half the well-known drag queens in the Central New York area. I have her phone number and an in to the bar this week in order to talk with her before the show. My mind is slightly blown.

I have a pro contact meeting with Cindy on Friday, in which I hope she embraces my plan and can overlook that I have no work to show other than all of the leg work associated with finding subjects and a point of view.

On Saturday, I have a completely different drag queen meeting - a benefit for Toys for Tots where I am supposed to be introduced to several of the premier Binghamton queens, which is wonderful since I have no intentions of frequent travel to Syracuse during my winter break. Two locations is far better than just one.

This means I have tomorrow to call Frita, Thursday to go to the bar and chitchat some business with her, Friday to meet with Cindy, and Saturday to have yet another contact meeting. I'm taking Sunday and Monday to do solid Pepper paper and capstone paper work, and Tuesday is a coffee meeting with an independent Syracuse photographer (she's in one of Kim Waale's figure drawing classes and Kim set us up on a little interview date thing - I'm quite looking forward to it).

Of course now I have too much finals work to commit to serious capstone work, but it's such a big start I don't even care.
I am finally motivated.
Only took all semester.

0 people like it sassy:

Post a Comment