Thursday, September 8

Flood Damage.

Having lived in Binghamton my whole life, I've never experienced severe flooding in my home personally. Surrounding areas and houses always have, but not my parents' house for some reason. My new house? Underground. Record flooding, beating out the flood of 2006 that left my graduation party one big mud puddle.

We just didn't see it coming. Our basement flooded, and the landlady got the sump pump going and we were fine. At 930, Casey and I went to bed because it was nearly dry again. At 1230, our friend down the street called and woke her up, asking her if we should evacuate. In our sleepy stupor we were thinking of course not.

Thankfully we parked across the street on slightly higher ground or our cars would have floated away. There was no driveway, no road in front of our house, no backyard.... it was all one big river, knee deep. I checked the basement, and watched as our dryer sunk under the rising water, and the washing machine tipped over and promptly sunk next to it. Casey swam/jogged through the basement to the breaker box while I packed overnight bags and the animals. (Side note: this was a hilarious event, as she was doing it in just a tshirt and thong, I couldn't help but laugh at her while I held the flashlight from the top stairs). I took the kitties and Sway to my parent's house, and Casey went with Matt to his parents a few towns over. Last I heard they're fine, and made it back to work at the Children's Home this morning.

Swayze is .. jittery. He took a while to settle and sleep on the couch with me, and when I touched him hend in e jumped a little. The cats... well they haven't adjusted at all and are not getting along with Sousa. He can't stand all of these pets invading his space. Swayze took direction well, and didn't bark or freak out while trying to get across the road, he was my brave little fluff.

We potentially can't get back to the house for days, the emergency travel ban is on an hourly basis with no end in sight. Not sure if I can get home for my own computer this afternoon before the next wave of rain...

On the bright side - we're fine. And sorta dry for the time being. Keep you guys posted <3

0 people like it sassy:

Post a Comment